Saturday, July 19, 2008

We made it

After a long and exhausting 19 hours of flying we have arrived back in America. David and I got about 3 hours of sleep before our flight because we were busy packing and cleaning the house. When the alarm went off it was very hard to get up. We arrived at the airport trying not to leave too much time just sitting there because the lounges aren't open at 5 am. We couldn't have timed it better. By the time we got all checked in and went through security it was time to board the plane. We didn't even sit down before boarding. The flight to Narita, Japan was a little rough with the kids. We had called United to make sure we had kids meals requested for them and when we checked in they said they had. When meal time came around there were no meals for either of my children. Great. Luckily Kameron will eat anything so he wasn't gea big concern but McKaila is picky. We did manage to get her to eat some eggs though.
Between landing in Narita and boarding the next plane to Dulles we had a one hour layover. We knew it was going to be somewhat tight but I didn't expect to run to our next gate. Our flight into Narita was a little late and by the time we had landed we had 25 minutes to get off the airplane and go through security and get to our next flight before it took off. Of course we were last off the airplane because we have two carseats and bags and David can't carry it all up at once so rather than him trying to push through people to get back to us we just waited till we were able to move around. Then they told us to wait for our stroller at the jetway. So we are waiting for about 5 minutes and another lady said oh we sent your stroller to your next plane because you don't have much time. You are telling me. Thanks for not telling us sooner. So then the next few minutes consisted of "McKaila run, run, run. We have to run or we'll miss our flight". Then she would reply "I want to walk". We get to security finally and I about died. There were massive lines. We went through the business line and just cut in front of everyone and tried to explain we had less than ten min. before our flight left and we aren't on it. Needless to say, we made it. It was crazy though. I had on a backpack, a shoulder bag, was carrying Kameron and trying to pull McKaila along and keep her running. It was quite the scene. David was behind us with another backpack and our two carseats.
When we were about to take off the captain told us we'd be arriving like 20 min. earlier than expected. That was music to my ears. The kids were doing fine for so long and then they started getting a little crabby. Kameron pooped EVERYWHERE!!!! Oh my goodness did he make a mess. David said he needed a diaper change so I offered to do it since I was closest to the bathroom and David would have to climb over someone else to get out. As soon as I picked him up all I hear from David is uh-oh. He had leaked out the sides. I think he had too much apple juice because it was horrible. It was all over his pants, shirt, blanket, carseat, and me. I think it took me a good 30 wipes and 30 minutes to clean him up. I would have just put him in the tub if we were home but even the sink in the bathroom was way to small for him. Ewww it was nasty. Thanks Kameron. When we were in Bangkok we got some medicine from a pharmacy to help kids sleep on airplanes. We had tried it out before hand but it didn't really seem to do anything for McKaila. We decided to try it again anyways on the airplane and sure enough it worked (along with the lack of sleep). I think out of the 12 hours of that flight the kids slept about 7 hours. Not too bad. They would wake up and cry for about ten seconds and then you'd cuddle them and they'd fall back asleep on you. This happened several times with both of them. Overall it wasn't too shabby of a day. Oh I almost forgot. So on the flight to Dulles they only had one child meal for our two children. It was around lunch time and they brought us a tray. We where so excited. It was chicken nuggets, french fries, applesauce... you know kid friendly foods. We give that to Kameron first because he was more hungry than Kaila was. We told McKaila that hers would be here in a few min. When a few min. had passed we asked where her meal was and they said they only had one child meal requested for us. We were so upset. Mainly because when we checked in they told us we had all meals requested. Then when we were on our first flight they didn't have any and they said they'd call the ground crew to let them know to have it for your next flight. A flight attendant took my name and my two kids names and I saw him write 2 kid meals. Even the captain called the ground crew. Then our next flight they only have 1 meal. This is so frustrating to me. When we were flying to Bangkok from Idaho 8 months ago we didn't get any meals for the kids. They had forgot them also. Geez United come on. Make our life a little easier by giving us kid meals like we requested. The pursor was really nice and gave us a card with a number on it. We are to go onto United.com and complain. Last time we did this we got bonus miles. She apologized over and over and even brought McKaila some ice cream. At meal times she would ask what of the items we were having she could bring extra of (bread) that Kaila would eat.
We finally arrived in Dulles and once again we waited till the plane was empty before we got off. They had told us customs was backed up and it would be a while. I didnt' think it could be that bad but I was wrong. The line came all the way into our jetway. I think we got about 10 ft off the airplane and had to stop because of the lines. It was going to take us forever to get to our hotel. Luckily a lady came back asking who was staying in Dulles and since we were we got to pass everyone. Apparently everyone else was waiting for plane transfers. I hope they made them. Finally after 26 hours of travel time we made it to our hotel. We walked over to a Target to get a few groceries and the kids crashed on the way and way back. They woke up about 2 this morning and I went in gave them snuggles and they went back to sleep. Its 5 am and I'm wide awake typing this. Sorry that this is going on and on.
Oh I forgot to mention. My feet got really swollen on our last flight. I have to say my feet have never been fatter. Honestly it was that bad. You'll see in the pictures. It wasn't just my ankles either. It was all the way up to my knees. My legs were rock hard. They were that swollen. I had no ankles. I could barely move what would be my ankles because they were so swollen they didn't have a lot of room to bend. Even when I was 9 months pregnant I never had this big of feet. The swelling has finally gone down and my feet can move freely. I have ankles again. YEAH.
( I tried to download the picture but it isn't working so it'll have to wait)

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Wow! What an adventure! We're so glad you made it okay, minus the poopin' and kids meals fiascos, and that the kids are on their way to getting over the jet-lag! Why are you up in the middle of the night? Get some rest and take care!