Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ahhhhh McKaila!!!!

The purpose of this blog was supposed to be so I could post pictures of the ultrasound I had yesterday. I am sad to say that isn't possible anymore. While I was making dinner McKaila decided to play on my computer, which she knows she is not allowed to do. Well she somehow managed to delete all but one of the ultrasound pictures that the hospital gave us on a cd. I can't show you the one ultrasound picture that we do have because it shows the sex of the baby. I have decided to keep it a secret for a little longer. Sorry for the suspence but we want to be sure before we blurt it out. I am only 13 weeks so it was hard to tell but the doctor gave us a 70% guess of what it is.
All of the screenings for down syndrome went well. Our baby has a low risk of having downs. They do four tests now to screen for it. They first listened and watched the blood flow of the liver. That looked fine on baby. Then they proceeded to look at the right ventricle of the heart and look for regurgitation. Baby passed with flying colors. They also look at the nasal bone. There is a high risk of down syndrome if the baby has one part of the nasal bone but our baby has the normal two parts. Lastly they check the nuchal chord or the fat on the back of the baby's neck. Anything below .3 is considered to be low risk. Our doctor measures 3 times to get an accurate reading. Our baby's measurements were .21, .18, and .20. All in all s/he is at a low risk. Yeah for a good doctors appointment.

2 comments:

Owens D.C. said...

Well sorry to hear about the missing photos and my guess still stands at a boy! :)

Secondly, I find that so interesting that these tests are done so extensively so early on, do you get to go back at 20 weeks? I'm sure your little "guy" we'll be fine like they said. We'll keep ya in our prayers!

Kellie Black and Boys said...

Ok, my guess is a boy! I think they can tell little boy parts a lot sooner than girl parts. Although, I guess girls and boys look a lot alike still at 13 weeks! Good luck with everything!